Labor Day Weekend 2019
Looking for some fun activities along Ebbetts Pass over Labor Day Weekend? Here’s a roundup to help you plan your weekend to get out and enjoy this beautiful stretch of highway.
Calaveras Big Trees State Park – CREEK CRITTERS
Bring the kids to explore Creek Critters at Beaver Creek. This fun activity generates squeals of delight as youngsters collect the critters they find from the creek. Volunteers then help kids identify their wriggly finds under magnifying glasses and microscopes. Saturday, Sunday and Monday of Labor Day Weekend are the last days of the season to enjoy this activity, so don’t miss out! Stick around for campfire songs and stories in the amphitheater at the North Grove from 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
- WHEN: Saturday, Sunday, Monday: 1:00 PM
- WHERE: Meet at Beaver Creek Picnic Area
- BRING: Water, snacks, sunscreen
- COST: Free with park entrance
- QUESTIONS: Call 209-792-1196
Sierra Nevada Logging Museum – LOGGING JAMBOREE
The family-friendly Sierra Nevada Logging Jamboree takes place on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend. This thrilling event features skilled professional and amateur competitors hot sawing, axe throwing, and timber pole bucking. Enjoy freshly made burgers, outdoor exhibits including the Shay locomotive, tours of the museum, games and more. As the competition progresses, log slices are made available to kids to take to the USFS booth for custom branding.
- WHEN: Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- WHERE: Outdoor amphitheater
- COST: Kids under 12 FREE | Adults $8 each or 2 tickets for $15
- QUESTIONS: Call 209-795-1226
Arnold – ARTS & CRAFTS FESTIVAL
Arnold, at the western end of the Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway hosts the annual Labor Day Weekend Arts & Crafts Festival. Enjoy browsing through locally made artisanal arts and crafts, sample gourmet food and enjoy live music. There will also be henna and face painting for the kids and beer served by the Ebbetts Pass Volunteer Fire Department. Sticking around for the evening? Enjoy live music at the Cedar Center courtesy of Bistro Espresso. Music goes from 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm Saturday and Sunday. A donation of $5 is requested but not expected.
- WHEN: Saturday 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sunday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- WHERE: Bristol’s Ranch House Cafe
- COST: Free admission
- QUESTIONS: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Bear Valley Mountain – TRIATHLON
Looking for something more physical? Test your athleticism in a spectacular environment by signing up for the 27th annual Bear Valley Triathlon. The course includes: 600 yard swim, 10.5 mile bike, 3.4 mile run. Water temperature is expected to be 70°F or warmer, so wet suits aren’t necessary (although they are allowed). Looking for camping pre-or-post event? Contact the Calaveras Visitors Bureau at 800-225-3764.
- WHEN: 10:00 am Sunday
- WHERE: Bear Valley Adventure Company, 1 Bear Valley Road
- COST: Individual $80 | Team $200
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: water, custom t-shirt, post race lunch, beer, raffle
- REGISTER: BearValleyTriathlon.ItsYourRace.com/Register/
Grover Hot Springs State Park – METEOR SHOWER PROGRAM
Meet with fellow night-sky enthusiasts to learn about the lesser-known minor meteor shower: the Aurigids generated by the Kiess comet. The Meteor Shower Program takes place in the meadow, with its beautiful, velvety black skies, and great stargazing views. More stargazing opportunities happen the following weekend at Hermitfest in Hermit Valley, and later in the week is Calaveras Big Trees State Park’s Moon Night Astronomy Program. You might also want to check out the guided sunset hikes on the Arnold Rim Trail later in the month.
- WHEN: 9:30 pm Saturday
- WHERE: The boardwalk in the meadow
- COST: Free with park entrance
- QUESTIONS: Call 530-694-2248 or email GroverHotsprings.Info@parks.ca.gov
Nearby Labor Day Weekend Events
For more Labor Day Weekend events in Calaveras and Alpine Counties, check out the Calaveras Visitors Bureau’s calendar of events, and the Alpine County Chamber of Commerce’s calendar of events.